President Obama has proclaimed today – June 18th 2014 – as “National Day of Making”. Check it out here on the official White House website: Presidential Proclamation — National Day of Making, 2014. I think its pretty cool that the government recognizes creators and innovation. Finally an announcement from the white house that all parties can agree on.
Here are some interesting facts about the Maker Movement from our retail friends at The Grommet:
- 57% of U.S. adults are Makers = 135 million Americans (Martha Stewart, USA Today Oct, 2013)
- The Maker Movement contributes to the 28M small businesses in the U.S. and these businesses create 2 out of every 3 new jobs in our country (Martha Stewart, USA Today Oct, 2013)
- $29B are pumped into the economy each year from the Maker Movement (Martha Stewart, USA Today Oct, 2013)
- The 3d printing market is projected to be worth $8B by the year 2020 (MarketsandMarkets, Nov 2013)
- The World is expected to crowdfund 5.1 B in 2013 (Forbes, April 2013)
- 48% of large manufacturers plan to return production to U.S. from offshore (The Wall Street Journal, June 2013)
- There are 200+ hacker spaces across the U.S. (New York Times, May 2013)
Maker Faire at The White House
On June 18th, a select group of makers will get to show off their projects at the White House and talk with the President about making and how it has shaped their lives. Check out the details on Makezine.